Saturday 26 February 2011

Removing Old Wax From Glass Votive Candle Holders

Here you can see the wax that came out of the holders. The bottom paper shows that votive had 2 candles in it, and the top candle had 7 or 8 candles before it got too full to use again. If you make candles you can even reuse the wax if you filter out the clutter.  You can also see the leftover chopsticks that the candle holders were balanced on.

Two candle holders I rescued from being pitched into the trash. That's about a $6 savings right there.
I didn't want to be wasteful and throw out old votive candle holders once they are filled with wax and no wicks.  So they've been piling up cluttering up the place.
So I asked my boyfriend to help me come up with a way to get the old wax out. First I dusted the candle holders off. Then we got an old pie tin, lined it with foil, and then put a few broken wood chopsticks on the bottom to keep the candle holders off the bottom.
We set the oven to the lowest possible setting.  Then we inverted the votives and rested them on the chopsticks. In twenty minutes the old candles had slid out of the containers.  I carefully removed them with oven mitts and set them on a paper towel to cool off. I did not try to take the pie plate out of the oven with the liquid wax in it at this time, I just turned off the oven. An hour later it was solidified enough to remove the pie pan with a pot holder.

If I need to get further wax off of the glass I can do it with a hot hair dryer.  I'm happy I'll be able to use my pretty candle holders again now.

No comments:

Post a Comment